Friday 25 March 2011

Trip back to the UK

This time last week I was in Chester at my Father In Law's funeral. 
My Mother in Law died almost a year ago and FIL had not been very settled on his own. The best thing I can say is that he died at home and that it was quick. He had refused point blank to go into a home, so he had people coming in throughout the day to help.
He was always very private about all things personal, but now the family are having to discover what's what.
I won't say any more about that now.


Our trip to the UK passed very quickly  but was also enjoyable. Son n°2 came with us and he saw some of the family he had not seen for a few years.  My Mum, who had not seen him for over two years was amazed at the change in him. He is now taller than his Dad and holds himself with an assurance of someone much older. 
It was lovely to hear him talk about himself and his future plans and to question people who had done similar things. It was not nice for someone to make snidey comments about his spots at the dinner table in front of everyone - he's nearly 17 for God's sake.
People told him that he spoke with a French accent. He was 3 when we moved here so French is really his first language, even though we always speak English at home. Him and his brother speak French when they are together despite years of telling them to speak English with each other, when they were younger.

I was amazed at the colours of everything in the shops, particularly BHS.

Anyway that is for another post


5 comments:

Elizabethd said...

I love going 'home' to the UK, the shops are so exciting!

Wally B said...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
I was home in Feb for my Mom's funeral. Not always the best reason for being in England, but I did get to see friends and family. We are trying to get my dad to come out to Seattle, but it is hard for him to think of anything right now. Small steps I keep getting told.

Kathy said...

It must feel strange for you all coming back ... especially in such sad circumstances. Hope you had a chance to savour the delights of Chester at some point.
xxx

Knatolee said...

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. A sad reason to go home. I lost my FIL in December, but fortunately my mother-in-law has been adjusting very well.

Diane said...

BHS is very colourful this year - all orange and lime and really lovely think. Sad reason to come home though. xxxx