Saturday 14 August 2010

Car Boot Sale Saturday


Well I did it! Today we did our first car boot sale.

I had prepared things throughout the week and last night we loaded up the car so we could leave early this morning. I took a bookcase for some of my books and a large garden table plus a hanging rail for my clothes.
We got there just after 07.00. Large field with an area roped off for the brocante.
After we had got everything set out - the strange men hanging around the car was a bit off putting but when they saw we didn't have anything they were interested in they soon moved on.
In total there were only 10 stalls. The organisers said they had expected about 30 but a lot of people hadn't turned up.
The flow of people was quite steady - it was a horse show as well so there was a wide variety of different people.
All in all it went very well. I took foster mummy's advice and tried to keep the prices simple, most things sold for 1€ but I did deals if people bought more than 1 thing. Thanks for your help foster mummy. http://fostermummy.blogspot.com
My best sellers were my books, sold to British and American people living in the area, and childrens books, both French & English. I made more money from selling the books today than I would have done if I had sold them on Amazon.
I did not sell any clothes at all - I wonder what that says about my taste in clothes. No one even asked the price!
The weather started to close in about 14.00 so we packed up and left not long after and came home for a cup of tea...
The car is still not unpacked but that is a job for tomrrow, after we have taken care of at least one pig, but that's another story.

2 comments:

Sue at Dollytub Cottage said...

Thanks for joining my followers - I love your pigs! Great choice of name "Elvis". Does he swing his hips? I went to see an Elvis Tribute Performer on Sunday. I'll be posting about it later in the week. SueXXX

Living the frugal life in France said...

thanks for your comment - my husband calls him big Elvis after the character in Eastenders and also the fact that he has rather large appendages derrière!!!