Monday 18 October 2010

Fuel Shortage

We are down to just half a tank of diesel between us!!



As you probably know France is on strike due to the reforms for the statutory retirement age going to 62 years old.

We went to 3 of our local garages on Friday afternoon and there was no diesel left anywhere. I have just looked on a forum and it appears that there is no diesel in our region and the petrol is running low too.

The government keep saying 'there is no panic', but there is also no fuel. However next week is the Toussaint holiday and the French do like to take their holidays, so who knows it may get sorted this week.

We are due to fly to the UK at the weekend but that is in doubt because we don't have any fuel to get to and from the airport.

We will have to work from home from Wednesday and offer telephone lessons instead of face to face lessons!!

Will keep you posted

9 comments:

Diane said...

I hope itys sorted out soon for you - personally I think the retirement age should be lowered to 51!!

Sue said...

I quite agree with you, you could retire now an me next year!!!
Then you could move out to France.
I saw your comment on another blog about wanting to move out here.
Sue

Manchester Lass, Now and Then said...

I do hope it is sorted and you manage to take your trip back to the UK Sue. We are at 65 and 65.5 in 2017 and 67 by 2023. To be honest I wasn't aware that the retirement age was so low, putting it up by two years seems very resonable to me:) When our retirement age was raised no one batted an eye:(

Lilbitbrit said...

In the USA it's at least 65 and goes up in increments, so it wouldn't surprise me if they put it up to 70. Everybody here realizes that nobody is ever going to retire after the terrible housing recession and having to pay for health care. 62 is in our dreams.

Christy

Wally B said...

Sounds like things are getting worse for travel.
Put your feet up and enjoy the enforced break.

Catherine said...

Here in Normandy there is no more petrol! i still have got some, but will walk 4kms tomorow to get my shopping, i will do some exercise! and keep the petrol for my husband.You asked me how to do the ceiling between beams, well it took me 8 days, there was some paper with material on top, i had to get it off, protect the beams and paint three layers of white paint, it's long but worth it! bon courage pour le voyage et pour trouver de l'essence!!!Catherine

Living the frugal life in France said...

Just a quick update - still no deisel, some petrol around but not much. I will wait until Sunday to make the decision about the trip to the uk. We will be working from home for the rest of the week.

Living the frugal life in France said...

Catherine - thanks for your advice. I think if we did it we would need scaffolding to reach the ceiling. I will talk to MOH - maybe do it if we don't go away next week.

Living the frugal life in France said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. Will let you know what happens.