Thursday 20 January 2011

Favourite Meal

Tonight we had my eldest son's favourite meal -

Confit de canard with potatoes fried in duck fat


The confit de canard comes in a large tin which you have to take the top and bottom off with a tin opener.
Then I scrape off as much of the fat as I can and then the lump of 4 legs goes into the steamer to get rid of the rest of the fat.

After about 30 minutes of gentle steaming, I put the legs onto a rack in a very hot oven to crisp up.
The skin should be very crispy.

While this is in the oven, I boil the potatoes for about 10 minutes, then fry them in the melted duck fat.

Yummy!!

What is your favourite meal?

4 comments:

Wally B said...

That could be one of mine. Anything with Gratin Dauphinoise floats my boat

John Going Gently said...

tinned duck was a meal that chris got me into...lovely! absolutely!

Living the frugal life in France said...

John, when you say tinned duck, it doesn't have quite the same ring to it as confit de canard does it???
Legend, I usually do dauphinoise with steak for MOH. Not done that for a while, maybe this weekend - thanks

Sue from Ky. said...

Thank goodness for our online word translation. I now know that you were having canned duck which has been preservered in it's own fat.I haven't had much dealings with duck, but I do remember it had lots of fat.